Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts about leadership and career

Had some time during one of the long train rides to clarify some of my thoughts about leadership. This is a really draft version - but I had to get my thoughts down before they slip away!

Dimensions of leadership

  1. Strategic thinking + vision to strategise at 30,000 feet
  2. Operational intelligence to operate on the ground
  3. Charisma and presence
  4. Building relevant experience and knowledge base
  5. Mental strength and will
  6. Sturdy integrity and values - walk the talk!
  7. Wide yet strong networks
  8. Master in the art of communication
  9. Time management - ability to prioritise ruthlessly
  10. And of course, last but not least, maintaining oneself in the prime of health and fitness to have enough energy to do all of the above
What do I lack and how to improve

I think the three main areas that I need to work on are the ability to think strategically, my ability to communicate in large groups and to persuade, and to further increase my networks in the private sector.

In addition, I think I've been doing alot of reading to build up my knowledge base. However, for it to translate into real experience and the other skills, I would have to practice them. And I think there are opportunities everyday to be just a little bit better in every one of the 10 areas above. And to seize those opportunities would be training in itself :) The key is to spot the opportunities and then get to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home