Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Monday, March 02, 2009

The "Yes" attitude

People often speak of the "lenses" with which we view our life, the world we live in. Using different lenses often bring out new perspectives, insights, and learnings.

One very useful lens that I've adopted is to see my work as a form of service. To excel in my job, I would strive to provide the best service available, by value-adding and delivering with the best attitude. Taking this perspective, my customers would then be the people I come into contact with everyday, and in particular, my bosses.

Just read this post by Seth Godin today. I think the post came at about the right time. I think I've begun to cultivate quite a bit of negativity in my attempt to reduce the amount of work that gets laid on my desk. I've started saying "no" to many things.

While that may be a good thing for me in the short term, I think that in the long term, I will only succeed in driving my customers nuts. I should change my perspective to: "yes, let's see how we can work something out". In particular, I should do this more for my more valued customers - people who are indeed honest and keen on helping me or making things better.

Thought for the day!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • It's admirable that you can see your work as a form of service. It has always been difficult for me during those civil service days.. :)

    By Blogger Snowy Monkey, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home