Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Logic of Life - Tim Harford


I must admit that I have not yet read Freakanomics and many of the other economics-related books. I picked this one up because I happen to be in the mood for this kind of books now and it appeared in the bestseller table that is placed near the entrance.

I found the book to be a really interesting read, and it opened my eyes to many new perspectives of looking at things. I think it also enhanced my ability to think logically, as the book introduced me to very logical and rationale ways of explaining counter-intuitive or complex issues.

Some of the things that I learnt!
- Your boss is paid so much not because he really deserves it, but because it motivates the people below him to work harder
- How mental models can develop simply based on events created by chance but we continue to use as if they are underpinned by facts
- People conglomerate in cities because of the access to other people, and consequently ideas
- While the world is truly getting flatter, geographical proximity does still play an important and necessary role in creating innovation and economic activity
- Many small companies competing against one another is the most fertile ground for innovation and economic progress, rather than a few huge companies or a monopoly

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home