Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Friday, January 07, 2011

Confessions of a public speaker - Scott Berkun

Decided to take another step in improving my communications, or rather, public speaking, skills. Think it is a very useful skill to develop. This book is one of the first steps. It was one of the highest rated books on websites that I visited, and it seemed like a good bet!

Overall, it was a pretty entertaining book. Berkun writes in a very "approachable" manner and it certainly didn't read like a textbook. Many of these points that he highlighted are simple and commonsense, but I think that they are helpful for a noobie like me all the same. So here they are:

  1. Everyone freaks out. I always get the butterflies before any situation where I'm required to speak. Even in meetings (those with senior ppl who I imagine are judging me all the time). It's good to know that many people get the same feeling too.
  2. Practice is key. I don't think I've ever practiced much. Not for presentations. And not for just the sake of practicing. I think I look unhinged if I start speaking at home to myself. But I think I should start somewhere, and I need to find a place to practice everyday.
  3. Preparation is key. Study your material inside out.
  4. Working the room. Simple but important - there is a need to first get everyone to come to the front of the space that you are speaking in to focus and concentrate the energy.
  5. Storyline. The storyline should be captivating and convincing. This is not so easy to do so in the typical presentations that are done in my workplace. People seem to expect slides that simply capture information in a snapshot but very detailed manner. Will keep the need for a storyline in mind.
  6. Making presentations interactive. I'm seeing Tony Robbins do this really well. I think I have lots to learn in this area - most of my presentations are one-way. I'm simply downloading loads and loads of data onto people, even for those where I'm not doing to my supervisors and people are there to learn about something that I'm (supposed) to be good in. Will keep in mind to ask people more questions.
  7. Know what's coming up on the next slide. Again, simple but really important. It allows you to connect your storyline.
  8. Tension and release. This is not so easy. But silences play quite a useful role. Berkun suggests using questions or problems that you ask people to solve.
  9. Always end early. That's a pretty good idea!
So here's the first step in my resolution to become an excellent public speaker. Now to find a place to practice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home