Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Reason for God - Timothy Keller

Got this book as a gift, from a friend who felt that I could benefit from reading and clarifying some of my thoughts and beliefs about the Christian God. I'm rather thankful for the friend's kind thoughts, and am slightly surprised by the number of people and friends who had been gently nudging me in this direction lately. Of course, the me right now interprets this as serendipity while my friends would disagree :)

In any case, it is both refreshing and challenging to read this book after having read Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion". The arguments in both books, hailing from opposing camps, are strong in their own ways. And as much as it is a leap of faith to believe that there is a God, I think that it is also an equally big leap of faith to conclusively believe that God does not exist (it is not really possible to "prove" that something doesn't exist, only that it is very unlikely).

At a very personal level, I find the idea of a higher spiritual being very comforting and "right" in a way. This book has addressed many of the issues that I have encountered, thought through and digested over the years pertaining to God, and they are quite well written. However, on the other hand, there's this part of me that finds it hard to accept some aspects, and unfortunately these issues have not been fully resolved. (Not sure whether they can be resolved through sheer logic ultimately - although some of my friends feel that they can.)

But it is nice that I'm thinking about such issues again after all these while. Chapter 1 needs to be revisited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home