Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rework - Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson


A fellow traveler and friend from my workplace passed me this book to read. It was a great read. Straight to the point but full of words of wisdom.

There are too many to be summarised here. (The book itself is already a summary.) But here are the ones that really resonated with me.

  1. Start making something NOW rather than just keep talking about it
  2. No time is an excuse - the real reason if one thinks and prioritises one's time properly is that this particular thing is not important enough
  3. Making the call is making progress, and be ready to make small decisions that brings one closer to the goal each day
  4. Distractions are nemesis to productivity - we really need to change the way we work and function nowadays. I actually enjoy getting distracted at times, which is bad. We need to create white spaces - long stretches of uninterrupted time to think. Each time I do that I really do get good ideas or breakthroughs.
  5. This one is really interesting - hire good writers. The writer says that people who can write well have a clear mind, can communicate, can empathise and understand what people want, and know what to omit. Honestly, I do feel that my mind has been sharpened by years of writing in the service. Glad for it.
  6. Send people home on time.
  7. Inspiration expires - so if you have an inspiration, the right time to do something about it is NOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home