Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Doing What Matters - James M Kilts

All in all, this is a great book. Pragmatic experience and advice that is immediately applicable everyday.

  1. Getting to the heart of the issue. Looks like this is one of the skills that would be transferable. Need to train myself to be able to first ask myself fact based questions that lead to the heart of the problem, and then force myself to give simple and clear answers. I believe that this is one aspect of clarity of thought that can be trained.
  2. Focus on 3-5 concepts only. These should form the fundamentals of how one drives success in an organisation. Consistent effort and being in the top 1/3 continuously is the key to success.
  3. Intellectual integrity. Being able to face harsh facts in the face and address them. Kill the snake! :)
  4. Enthusiasm as a nonstop activity. Keeping the momentum going is not just about one-off appearances or rallies. This is something that I have to learn! Use weekly meetings to stoke accountability and make people act.
  5. Out-execute competition. Planning is only a small part of the game. It is rare that fantastic ideas lead to fantastic outcomes. The winner is the one who out-executes an ordinary plan against competition.
  6. Energy as a key pillar for talent. Darn - I'm maxing out my caffeine intake already. How!
  7. Have a roadmap and vision. This is also one area to work on. Am beginning to shift more of my energies each day towards planning, rather than doing things. It doesn't help that I can't delegate much of my work away though.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home