Running with a Spoonful in Life's Gallery

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cutting Hair

My head feels a lot lighter! Somehow that makes me feel really airy and happy.

Just finished cutting my hair, all by myself. A ritual that I have been engaging in, grudgingly, over the last four years that I was in the States. I do not proclaim to be an expert on haircutting, and my eyes being in the same head whose hair I am trying to cut certainly complicates the whole process somewhat. In fact, it makes it nearly darn impossible to cut any portion of my hair thats not directly in front of my eyes.

Yes ... but why put myself through the torture of cutting my own hair then? (or for that matter, to put my friends through the torment of having to put up with my weird hairdo after every makeover session?) The reason is, I adamantly proclaim: there is almost definitely something about the shape of my skull that makes haircutting by any professional in the US an impossible task.

Its a strange claim, but I do feel certain protrusions on my head that don't feel like they should be there. And my haircutting experience so far with American hairdressers have been horrendous, really horrendous. My friends around me never hesitate to tell me that I would have been better off if I hadn't gone for THAT haircut. And that is a real pain.

Besides, the price that hairdressers charge in the States is much too high ... much too high for a haircut that even I think that I can do without. Speaking of which, almost everything, except electronics, in the US is overpriced. How can a poor student like me afford to have my hair cut every month! I have to save up my precious cash for that Ipod which I have been eyeing for months!

And so I cut my own hair. It is easier to blame my disastraous haircut on my inability to see what I am cutting ("oh! i wouldn't have been able to see that! thank you Jason!") than to blame it on a hairdresser I paid $30 to.

Ah yes, and this feels good. My head feels lighter. My wallet doesn't feel lighter though, and I am $30 closer to buying that Ipod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home